[e-drug] Antidiabetic drugs (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] Antidiabetic drugs (cont)
  • From: "Dr.L.Offerhaus" <lo@euronet.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:08:10 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: Antidiabetic drugs (cont)

Dear Perla,

On the glibenclamide issue we might decide to agree to disagree. I
don't believe one word about the alleged direct action of this drug
on diabetic retinopathy or nephropathy.  If there is one influence,
it is the strictest control of diabetes possible with any means
(preferably several injections of insulin over the day), and even
then successes are few and far between. As to diabetic control: this
is a group effect of all sulfonamide oral antidiabetics. The only
difference between glibenclamide and the other drugs is its
metabolism and pharmacokinetics. So, basically, it is a matter of
relative availability and price.

As to the insulin issue: In a few years' time 40 U insulin will no
longer be available. So the main issue is the provision of
appropriate syringes (or pens) and education.

Best wishes,

Dr.L.Offerhaus
Koedijklaan 1a
NL-1406 KW Bussum