[e-drug] Pethidine/meperidine safety & analgesic efficacy vs morphine

  • Subject: [e-drug] Pethidine/meperidine safety & analgesic efficacy vs morphine
  • From: "Kae" <kaecherie@yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:18:23 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: Pethidine/meperidine safety & analgesic efficacy vs morphine

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have received 3 responses to my question below so far from INDICES,
and in summary there seems to be no major difference between both
drugs from the responses. However, I wonder with the discussion
online now in E-Drug about the WHO model list whether my question can
be posted to E-drug as well? I am interested in the history of this
debate because I have an impression that there may be a continental
bias,
i.e. a condemnation of meperidine [the name for pethidine in USA]
from northern american sites and the opposite from europe? So I would
like to know if this is a correct conclusion and perhaps the reason
for it.

[Summary of Indices posting: I am having difficulty clarifying the
above issue raised by the international medical community on board. I
know pethidine is still listed on the new WHO Model Essential Drug
List, I have done a current copernic search on Pubmed and reviewed
current editions of Micromedex and BNF, but so far have not been able
to find many conclusive and updated reviews. I would welcome any
references or feedback regarding the inclusion and role of pethidine
(meperidine) in a hospital formulary.]

Kae
Kae Ting, MRPharmS
Pharmacist,
formerly with the National University Hospital of Malaysia
currently serving the Mercy Ships www.mercyships.org
"Kae" <kaecherie@yahoo.co.uk>
--
To send a message to E-Drug, write to: e-drug@usa.healthnet.org