[e-drug] MSF Comments on new GSK preferential prices (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] MSF Comments on new GSK preferential prices (cont)
  • From: Bonnie Fundafunda <bfunda@echohealth.org.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:09:36 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: MSF Comments on new GSK preferential prices (cont)

Dear e-drug,
Given that many of the affected people globally tend to be those who
cannot personally or individually afford the costs of therapy
(whether for patented products or generic alternatives), and can only
do so through government (free healthcare; subsidised; etc), that the
great majority tend to be the very poor, should not the generic
products be even much cheaper than reported? I would expect a lot
more pressure on generic manufacturers to cost these products at far
less than their reported prices per therapy per year, if the goal is
to increase uptake and use of these products. After all, they have
not spent as much (if at all) in terms of novel research and
associated costs. I can understand why an innovator may continue to
cost their patented product in a way that aims to recover research
costs and other (ongoing) expenditure.

  I go back to my (now old) view that at the base of this suggestion
to innovators to reduce the cost of their patented products, is the
desire to see a radicle change in business behaviour. Why else would
there be voices asking patent holders to basically drop their prices
to a levels that are uneconomic to them, but have the positive impact
of enabling their products to have wider and affordable presence? My
view is that involvement from corporate (be they patent- holders or
generic manufacturers), must, in this changing world, be encouraged,
and that these folks must be encouraged to work in an inclusive
climate, rather than made to feel that they are outsiders, or in the
least, lack appreciation of the health situation. We are seeing
movement, engagement and a desire to work in an inclusive world, and
I would encourage and support that.

Bonnie (Mr)
Boniface Fundafunda PhD, MBA, B.Pharm(Hon)
Marketing Manager
ECHO International Health Services Limited
Ullswater Crescent, Coulsdon, Surrey, CR5 2HR, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 8660 2220  Fax: +44 (0)20 8668 0751
Email: bfunda@echohealth.org.uk
www: echohealth.org.uk
[signature added by moderator. Please Bonnie add your signature each
time so we don't have to hunt for it.  BS]

--
To send a message to E-Drug, write to: e-drug@usa.healthnet.org