[e-drug] EDL: Nitroimidazoles and antidiabetes drugs (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] EDL: Nitroimidazoles and antidiabetes drugs (cont)
  • From: "Dr.L.Offerhaus" <lo@euronet.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:28:49 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug:EDL: Nitroimidazoles and antidiabetes drugs (cont)

Dear Valeria,

As to metronidazole not causing resistance: Unfortunately that is not true.
Tinidazole has 100% cross-resistance compared to metronidazole (3
references in Kucers & Bennett). But overall resistance is quite low. I do not
know about secnidazole, that drug is poorly documented, but it is probably a
group effect.

Glibenclamide to be replaced by gliclazide or glipizide: glibenclamide has a
box in front of the name in the WHO EDL - so there is no therapeutic
impediment, only financial. Their patents date from 1968-1970, generics
could therefore be made available if the market is interesting enough.

Insulin 40 U/ml: Yes, most certainly. But I have been told that the main
problem is the availability of the right type of syringe. Many 3d
world countries
have the old type of 2 ml glass syringe, and quantities of 100 U/ml insulin are
generally too small to precisely fill. So: syringes + education. The insulin
manufacturers would readily drop the old formulation.

Best wishes,

Leo Offerhaus

Dr.L.Offerhaus
Koedijklaan 1a