[e-drug] EDL: clavulanic acid (ir)ratios (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] EDL: clavulanic acid (ir)ratios (cont)
  • From: "Jonathan Dartnell" <jdartnell@tg.com.au>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: EDL: clavulanic acid (ir)ratios (cont)

I agree with Wilbert, the array of amoxicillin and clavulanatic acid
combination products available with the various ratios of active ingredients
is confusing. I am tempted to agree, that it would be useful to have the
option of a separate clavulanic acid product so that you scale up or down
the amoxicillin dose as needed.

However, I suspect there may be a down side. If prescribers were forced to
prescribe 2 separate products (amoxicillin PLUS clavulanic acid), they may
prefer to prescribe a single agent to achieve better patient adherence and
choose a broader spectrum agent (eg cephalosporin).

Jonathan Dartnell
Production Manager
Therapeutic Guidelines
Level 2, 55 Flemington Road, North Melbourne, Vic 3051, Australia
Telephone: 61 3 9326 9959
Facsimile: 61 3 9326 5632
Email: jdartnell@tg.com.au
Website: http//www.tg.com.au