[e-drug] CDMU 25th anniversary celebrations (cont)

E-drug: CDMU 25th anniversary celebrations (cont)

  Community development medicinal unit [CDMU] is an Indian non-profit
voluntary organization established in 1984. Its primary aim is to
supply essential drugs at low cost to voluntary organizations
providing health care services. A campaign on rational use of drugs
was launched simultaneously with the idea of influencing doctors and
paramedics towards adopting a rational prescription habit and a
rational attitude to drugs, appropriate to the needs of common
people. CDMU membership has grown from 15 in 1985 to over 250 in
1995. Today the number of members stands at around 170 in and around
Calcutta and 147 in and around the branch office at Siliguri.
Most of these members are charitable and voluntary organizations in
West Bengal.

Many experts and eminent personalities in the field of healthcare are
now associated with the activities of CDMU either directly or in an
advisory capacity. Encouraged by the activities of CDMU,
organizations in Bihar and Orissa have sought our guidance and
commenced work along similar lines.

Drug distribution outlets
CDMU has two outlets, one in Calcutta and the other in Siliguri in
North Bengal. A central selection team of experts updates CDMU's drug
list and list of suppliers every year after reviewing tender
quotations submitted by various drug companies. There are no
unproven, hazardous, irrational or bannable drugs in this list. The
procured drugs are also tested for quality in appropriate
laboratories if necessary.

Drugs are purchased in bulk directly from the manufacturers and can
therefore be supplied to member organizations, even in remote areas,
at prices substantially lower than in the open market.

We have planned to have a modest program on 21st October, 2002 in
order to celebrate the 25th year of Essential Medicines here at
Community Development Medicinal Unit [CDMU], Kolkata, India. At the
least, we are trying to organize a seminar involving mainly the media
people and also to publish a special volume of the 'Rational Drug
Bulletin' [CDMU official publication, released quaterly] on the theme
of Essential Drugs.

We shall be obliged if you kindly send a brief message / write-up on
the above theme that we shall publish in the 'Rational Drug Bulletin'
special issue and may be, if you kindly permit, in the local
[Kolkata] press.

Further, let us seek your valued advice and comments that might guide
us in making the program a success. You may also consider sending us
relevant articles / news items / press release regarding the above
subject for favor of use for the above purpose.

You may kindly send the document[s] as email
[<mailto:cdmudocu@vsnl.com>cdmudocu@vsnl.com or
<mailto:pharmaintel@vsnl.com>pharmaintel@vsnl.com] attachment.

Further activities are available at:
<http://education.vsnl.com/cdmudocu/CDMUHome.htm>http://education.vsnl.com/cdmudocu/CDMUHome.htm