[e-drug] Samples of counterfeit drugs (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] Samples of counterfeit drugs (cont)
  • From: Nancy Blum <nlb@usp.org>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:49:45 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: Samples of counterfeit drugs (cont)

I agree with Richard that quality cannot be "tested in" to a product
- it must be manufactured from good quality bulk materials and under
acceptable GMPs.  However, I do not agree with the suggested terms
"overstandard" and "understandard".  If we are talking about the
amount of the active ingredient, it would be more specific to say
"subpotent" if the amount is less than the label claim and
over-potent  if the content is greater than label claim.  I am afraid
that the term "over standard" will imply the product may be "better"
than internationally accepted standards.  This is certainly not the
case -a product that delivers more of the active ingredient than is
specified on the label can be equally or more dangerous than a
subpotent or fake product.
   This is particularly true if the patient is a child or a pregnant woman.
When we are talking about global problems, it is very important we
use specific, easily-translated terminology.  If we can come to some
general agreement on a definition of terms, we are at a starting
point for global cooperation on making improvements.

Nancy Blum, M.P.H., M.A.
Director, Global Assistance Initiatives
U.S.Pharmacopeia
12601 Twinbrook Parkway