[india-drug] List of Emergency Medicines/Life Saving Drugs

  • From: "Prof. Roy Chaudhury" <dsprud@satyam.net.in>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:42:51 -0400 (EDT)

List of Emergency Medicines/Life Saving Drugs

Dear India drug participants,

The Delhi Society for Promotion of Rational Use of Drugs and the
India-WHO Programme in Essential Drugs have published four Lists of
Essential Drugs in the years 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2002. This list
delineates drugs which could be prescribed for both Outpatients and
Inpatients. We are probably the first organization to bring out this
difference. We also have drugs with asterisks, which we label as
complementary drugs similar to the essential drugs. These are to be
used with care and circumspection.

We are now considering formulating another list known as the emergency
drugs/life-saving drugs list which is derived from the EDL. The
Emergency Drugs/Life Saving Drugs are defined as ?Drugs which require
immediate administration within minutes post or during a medical
emergency. Medicines which have the potential to sustain life and/or
prevent further complications.? This list will potentially receive
special considerations like exemption of import duties etc. from the
government. The list is given below and we would welcome comments from
the network.

Proposed List of Commonly Used Emergency Medicines/Life Saving Drugs

Emergency Drugs/Life Saving Drugs
Drugs which require immediate administration within minutes post or
during a medical emergency.
Medicines which have the potential to sustain life and/ or prevent
further complications.

Adenosine Injection
Adrenaline Bitartrate Injection
Aminophylline Injection
Amiodarone Injection
Antisnake venon inj polyvalent Injection
Antitetnus Human Immunoglobulin Injection
Atropine sulphate 0.6mg/ml Injection
Calcium chloride Injection
Chloroquine phosphate 64.5 mg/ml (5ml amp) Injection
Dextran-70 Injection
Diazepam 5mg/ml Injection
Dicyclomine hydrochloride 10mg/ml Injection
Diphenhydramine Injection
Diltizem Injection
Diptheria Antitoxin Injection
Dobutamine 50mg/ml (5 ml amp) Injection
Dopamine hydrochloride 40mg/ml (5ml amp) Injection
Epinephrine hydrochloride 1mg/ml Injection
Flumazenil Injection
Fresh Frozen Plasma Injection
Frusemide 10mg/ml Injection
Glucose with sodium chloride Injection
Glyceryl trinitrate 5mg/ml Injection
D50% Injection
Haloperidol Injection
Heparin sodium 5000IU/ml Injection
Hydrocortisone sodium succinate 100mg/ml Injection
Insulin soluble (bovine + porcine or porcine) 40IU/ml Injection
Lignocaine IV 2% Injection
Lidocaine 2% Injection
Magnesium sulphate Injection
Mannitol 10%, 20% Injection
Metoclopramide 5mg/ml
Metoprolol 1mg/ml Injection
Morphine sulphate Injection
N/2 saline Injection
N/5 saline Injection
Naloxone 0.4mg/ml Injection
Neostigmine 0.5, 2.5mg/ml Injection
Oxygen Inhalation
Oxytocin Injection
Pancuronium 2mg/ml Injection
Phenobarbitone 200mg/ml Injection
Phenytoin 50mg/ml Injection
Potassium Chloride Injection
Pralidoxime chloride (2-PAM) 25mg/ml Injection
Protamine sulphate Injection
Rabies vaccine Injection
Ringer lactate Injection
Salbutamol sulphate Inhalation