[e-drug] Cough syrups (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] Cough syrups (cont)
  • From: Joel Lexchin <joel.lexchin@utoronto.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:44:26 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: Cough syrups (cont)

If Dr. Reinstein knows of studies of cough suppressants that show their
effectiveness in clinical situations--i.e., acute cough due to upper
respiratory tract infections--then I would be very interested in seeing them
and I'm sure that the authors of the two recent systematic reviews on the
effectiveness of cough medications would also be interested in seeing them.
For those interested the two meta-analyses that I'm referring to are:

BMJ 2002;324:1-6 (adults)
Archives of Disease in Childhood 2002;86:170-5 (children)

Both of these conclude that over-the-counter cough medications are of no
proven value.
--
Joel Lexchin MD
121 Walmer Rd.