[e-drug] Medicines advertising on TV (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] Medicines advertising on TV (cont)
  • From: "Martin" <martin.rieder@berlin.de>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 03:38:31 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: Medicines advertising on TV (cont)

Dear E-druggers
  Being a medical doctor and having been working in Europe, Africa and
Asia over the last 9 years, the list of drugs advertised on TV in NZ
strikes me as I don't even know (apart from Omeprazole and Diclo) the
other drugs named. Am I thus far behind in my continuous medical
education or are these drugs (finasteride, sildenafil, rofecoxib ,
orlistat and bupropion hydrochloride) just not essential and only for
the benefit of shareholders?

Dr. Martin Rieder
Medical Co-ordinator
c/o Medecins sans Frontieres
P.O. Box 343557
Addis Ababa
Ethiopia
"Martin" <martin.rieder@berlin.de>

[When I returned after working in Somalia for 6 years I found many
drugs I had not heard of - mostly for 'life-style' diseases.  At the
same time I was familiar with a range of diseases and drugs that my
Australian colleagues were unfamiliar with.  Whether the drugs
mentioned above are essential or not - I will leave that to
e-druggers. BS]
--
To send a message to E-Drug, write to: e-drug@usa.healthnet.org