[e-drug] Fixed dose drug combinations (cont)

  • Subject: [e-drug] Fixed dose drug combinations (cont)
  • From: Atieno Ojoo <mojoo@gerties.org>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:04:03 -0400 (EDT)

E-drug: Fixed dose drug combinations (cont)

I know the majority of cough preparations are not essential. However,
since they are available for purchase by consumers in supermarkets
and pharmacies, I believe we should also discuss them. I am concerned
that this is one line of
products where fixed doses are combined in all manner of strengths of
various drugs.  Some preparations contain both cough suppressants and
expectorants-  What is the logic here? Why have an antihistamine (Drying
effect) with a mucolytic and expectorant?

We owe it to the general public to also bring some order in this
area. Most prescribers experience difficulty in choosing a cough
preparation as they may not remember the contents and strengths.
There is the risk of overdosing if more than one product is selected.
How about the consumer?

The other area of OTCs that is a concern is FDCs of pain killers. Because
consumers will buy them using brand names, they are in danger of overdosing,
say paracetamol-which is a common content in majority of the pain killer
FDCs.

Dr Atieno Ojoo
Gertrude's Garden Children's Hospital
P O Box 42325-00100